Sunday, October 12, 2008

Indian Butter Chicken


Last night Steve and I made some super yummy Indian butter chicken for dinner. For me the spices in this recipe are a perfect combo that left my mouth pleasantly warm, not too hot, just right. This recipe was originally from the Taste of Home cooking school, but I altered it a little to fit how we cook. I can't wait to make this for company!


Indian Butter Chicken

4 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped sweet onion
4 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 tablespoons fresh or powdered ginger
1 teaspoon chili powder - I use Penzy's medium chili powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-14.5 oz can of tomatoes, I used whole and smooshed them with my hands or you can use diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper to taste (1/4-1/2 teaspoon)
2 pounds of chicken breast
1/3 cup heavy cream (or you can use half and half)
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon of minced cilantro
Cooked rice if you want, I eat it alone, Steve likes rice

  • Cook chicken with 2 tablespoons of butter in large skillet on medium-high heat, if you want more flavor add some ginger, turmeric, and chili powder, just be adventurous and sprinkle some on! Set aside in bowl when cooked most of the way.
  • In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add garlic and onions and cook until the onions are getting translucent. Add the ginger, chili powder, turmeric, and cinnamon and stir for a minute or so. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, and pepper, stir until well combined.
  • Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, it will start to smell really good. Stir occasionally.
  • Add the chicken, sour cream, and cream (or half and half, use what you have) . Uncover and cook for 5 more minutes.
  • Remove from the heat and add the cilantro and serve!
I really believe that if you use fresh, good ingredients your food will taste even better. I think that the free-range, hormone free chicken really tastes so much better and works with the flavors well. I love Penzy's Spices, they are my favorite. Don't use old spices that have been sitting in your cupboard or ones that came with your spice rack years ago!

No comments: