Sunday, March 21, 2010

Un-scratch Sunday

As we wait on the verge of finding out if we are actually moving and if we will have health care for all, I found myself looking at my unused fluted cake pan.  This poor pan has spent at least six years in our home, never used.  Well today is your day, because all of this angst (and my pounding hangover from the comedy club bender) have me craving comfort food. 

Since the fluted cake pan is from Pampered Chef, I decided to check out their website for a recipe.  I found this recipe for Choco-Peanut Butter Swirl Cake that uses a box cake mix.  I usually look down on those Sandra Dee-like made from a box recipes (they are almost as bad as anything from Rachel Ray).  But my pounding head is not going to allow for anything more today. So here is my interpretation of this recipe -

Fluted Chocolate Peanut Butter Love


Cake:
1 Boxed vanilla cake mix, I used a Dr.Oetker Vanilla cake mix
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup of water
3 eggs
4 oz bar of bittersweet chocolate, I used Ghirardelli
dash - about a teaspoon heavy cream

Glaze:
3 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter
about 2 tablespoons of heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the cake mix, peanut butter, water, and eggs using a stand mixer.  Beat on high until well incorporated.
Grease a fluted cake pan (I used butter flavor crisco because it was hanging out in the fridge)
Pour half of the cake batter into the pan
Break up the chocolate in a bowl, put in the microwave on high for 1 minute.  Stir with a fork until it is all melted (you may have to heat it more, I used a ceramic bowl so I didn't have to).  Stir in the heavy cream, then add to the remaining cake batter and beat until well incorporated.
Gently pour the cake batter onto the top of the cake batter already in the pan.  Swirl with a butter knife if you want the swirly look.  Bake until done, about 45 minutes or so.

Cool for 10-15 minutes then flip onto a plate.

In a small bowl whisk together the peanut butter and cream (starting with a little and adding more to get the right consistency), add the powdered sugar.  If needed add more peanut butter and cream to get the right glaze-like consistency.

When the cake is cooled (or not so hot if you are impatient) cover with the glaze.

Enjoy!!!  Wash away your angst with chocolate and peanut butter.

No comments: