Saturday, September 19, 2009

I *think* I like this


Pumpkin, smoked gouda, pasta...what is not to like? I am not sure, I wasn't wowed but I wasn't repulsed by this recipe. I used "baby" neck pumpkins from Central Market for this recipe. I baked them in the oven and then scooped out the pumpkiny goodness.

I altered this recipe from Cara's Cravings blog after a nestie suggested it for a vegetarian meal.

Pumpkin and Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
  • about 1/2 sweet onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • about 3/4 cup milk (ok I didn't have milk so I used heavy cream with some water, that is milk isn't it?)
  • 2 cups of cooked pumpkin
  • about 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
  • 8 oz grated smoked gouda
  • salt and pepper
  • grated nutmeg about 1/2 teaspoon (I eyeballed it)
  • 1 box of Dreamfields elbows cooked al dente
In my new "old" iron skillet I cooked the onion in butter until tender, then I added the pumpkin and milk and continued to heat. I turned off the heat and added the cheeses and stirred until melted. I then added the drained pasta and placed in a greased 9 by 13 inch pan (I used stoneware). I cooked at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.


No comments: