The cooling weather is shifting my view of mushrooms from the bright flavors of summer to savory, warm flavors. Mushrooms are amazing and scary. I wish my grandmother was still here to tell me their secrets.
I started with an assortment of mushrooms from the local grocer. Someday I will make a trip to mushroom country a hour or so away to explore more varieties.
simple savory mushroom soup
- 32 oz of broth, I used vegetable broth
- about a pound of assorted mushrooms, sliced
- two small shallots cut into small pieces
- about 1/2 cup of cream
- about a teaspoon of cumin
- about a teaspoon of medium chili powder
- pepper, a few swirls of the grinder
Cook the mushrooms and shallots in butter, add pepper, cumin, and chili powder to the liquid produced by mushrooms, cook until the mushrooms are mushroomy (reduced but not browned)
Add to broth warming in pot on stove
Add cream and any additional spices to taste
Cover and simmer on low heat for half an hour