Sunday, September 14, 2008

Our Laurel Highland Adventure

In an effort to escape life we journeyed to the Laurel Highlands a few hours to the west of York. We both just needed to get away and out of our usual routine. So we left Friday night to drive to the B&B, Glades Pike Inn, which is located outside of Somerset. Our room was large with one of the house's original fireplaces and a quirky four poster bed. The country decor totally reminded me of my parents house circa 1990, so I felt at home.

Saturday - We awoke to the smells of breakfast cooking and we really enjoyed eating breakfast with the other guests. The innkeeper, Janet, was very nice and helpful. She pointed some other guests to a local auction after we were discussing ebay over breakfast. Our fellow guest later told me she had a ball at the auction, she was from LA and they do not have auctions like that out there.

After breakfast we drove west on Route 31 to Kooser State Park, where we did a quick hike around the lake. We moved onwards to Ohiopyle where we parked and started exploring. We decided to give the local rail trail a try. We rented his and her pink and blue cruisers for the trail (for only $3 per hour!). After conquering two scary bridges we started down the trail. I am so glad we decided to do this because Steve had a really good time. As we were returning to town it started to drizzle, as it started to rain harder we decided to return the bikes and grab some lunch.

We headed to the Firefly Grill just down the street from where we rented our bikes. Lunch was surprisingly good. I had a California Wrap (turkey, guac, tomato, cumber = yum) and Steve had a pork bbq.

After lunch we headed to Fallingwater, one of Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpieces. I had wanted to visit Fallingwater since I was in college. As we were walking down the trail to the house I was so excited to finally see it I thought I was going to start crying. It was everything I expected and more. I can't wait to go back and see it again so I can take in more. Every room is as the original family left it, gorgeous Tiffany lamps and stacks of books included along with all of the FLW-designed furniture and built-ins. We were surprised to see cork used in the bathrooms. The materials he used were so innovative for the time, I am in awe of his genius.

Next we headed to Kentuck Knob, another FLW house built 20 years or so after Fallingwater. It was interesting to see an Usonian home in comparison to Fallingwater. Seeing both of these homes made us really think and discuss what we want in our next home and where we want it to be. I really love high small windows on the public side of the Kentuck Knob and then big giant windows on the private side of the house. Hopefully we can incorporate some FLW design concepts into our next house.

After our busy day we decided to relax and go to the movies Saturday night. We headed to the movie theater not knowing what was playing. Luckily we arrived in time to see Burn After Reading. It made me laugh and scream and I think it gave me freaky dreams that night. I would totally recommend it.

Sunday - Being the creatures of habit that we are, after breakfast at the B&B we returned to Ohiopyle to rent the pink and blue bikes. This time we headed off in the opposite direction on the trail. It was hot outside but nice and cool in the woods. The trail follows the river for the most part, with rapids on onside and very pretty woods and small waterfalls on the other side. After biking about 9 miles we headed back to the Firefly Grill for lunch where we both had yummy Thai chicken wraps. After checking out the falls on the river we headed back home to our kitties. We are already planning our next trip back to the area. Next time we want to go on a white water rafting trip and do some more bike riding.

No comments: