Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pineapple leftovers

We greeted the return of Lost with fresh pineapple and strawberries.  A week later we were still eating the pineapple which is forever for my low threshold of refrigerator holding times.  I was thinking of making something savory with it, but the snow left me craving a baking experience.  Pineapple upside down cake is the first thing that came to mind, so I scoured the internets for a recipe.  I found this recipe at Epicurious, I lacked all of the ingredients so I improvised the version below...

Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Upside down part:
  • Quarter of a fresh pineapple (or more if you have it)
  • 3/4 stick unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar, ok I had some light, some dark
Cake part:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon Malibu rum
  • 1/2 cup orange juice and the scant amount of pineapple juice left
  • 2 tablespoons Malibu rum for sprinkling over cake

No comments: